Bec Shann on the complexities of simple living + the boring truth about meditation.
September 13, 2021
Bec Shann (who you might know from Think Big Live Simply) used to lead a pretty conventional life working in science, making rational decisions, and following the prescribed path towards success.
But then she saw an ad for Milkwood Permaculture's Design Course -- and the rest, as they say, is compost.
From taking on a commercial-scale market garden with no prior experience, to building a humble abode on the side of a hill and steeping herself in the home economy, Bec’s thoughtful and honest approach to simple living will have you breathing a sigh of relief. Because it's imperfect by design -- and starts the minute you articulate your values.
- The boring truth about meditation.
- Discovering permaculture by accident through an ad.
- The gifts of redundancy!
- Rational vs. corporeal decision-making
- Taking an adult gap year
- How to know when you should completely change your life?
- Taking on a market garden with zero experience
- Work/life balance -- simple living style.
- The positive feedback loop of a frugal home economy.
- Work to live or working to outsource the living?
- There is no magical ‘anti-consumer’ switch.
- If we can create more space between the system and the marketing and rushing we can tap back into knowing we have enough.
- Dealing with part-time work guilt
- A bee works its entire life for your sweet cuppa tea!
- Community isn’t an easy and instantaneous thing.
- Intentional Instagram usage.
- The first step in simple living = articulating your values.
LINKS YOU'LL LOVE
Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/futuresteading)